31 December 2006

Movies, women in kitchens, and happy NY

Hi again all, this particular missive comes to you with the sweet sounds of Marillions 'Afraid of Sunlight' blaring in the background. This is probably my all time favourite album, and I can't begin to imagine how many times I've listened to it.

For those of you who know me, I am now hairless. Well facial hair anyway. Depending on demand, I may post a picture.

In the paper yesterday, a study reported that women who cook and dust a lot are less likely to get heart disease. Go Science!!! So next time you order your wench to the kitchen to cook you some eggs, add 'it'll save your life honey' - should work a treat!!

Movie reviews:
I went and saw Copying Beethoven yesterday. This starred Ed Harris and the delectable Diane Krugar. Ok so it's a fantasy and creative story telling of Beethoven's last year. But its enjoyable. The first 20 minutes or so were a bit clunky, but after that it settled down and focussed on the characters - Beethoven and his copyist (Diane K). The movie takes as its starting point the final few days of composition of the 9th before its premiere. As Ludwig van is deaf and can't hear the orchestra he needs a backup - and his nephew Carl (who looks so emo-kid it's not funny!) doesn't want to do it. So he (LVB) bonds with the copyist - and she helps him. It's fun, music is great (mainly 9th, a bit of the 7th and bits of the late era quartets - might be others but thats what I picked), acting is good - although at times I thought Harris' was sleepwalking a bit - and movie is interesting.

North Country: saw this last night. Eh typical Hollywood fluff. Predictable storyline. Pah. No-one deserved to win anything from this movie. But I have a feeling they did. Stupid awards ceremonies. Even with wine drinking it didn't improve. The only plus was having Warren Zevon and Bob Dylan on the soundtrack - huzzah!

Oh well, off to cook dinner now :-)

smoochies, b.

No comments: