25 April 2008

Of bikes, vampires and food

Word association time, I say Neil Morrissey, you all respond with 'Men Behaving Badly'. Prior to MBB Neil was in a Brit horror (?) flick called I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle. The plot is summed nicely by the title, although not quite as succinctly as Snakes on a Plane. An occultist is killed by a rival motorcycle gang, and bleeds into his motorcycle leaving his blood and the demon he was summoning. A motorcycle courier buys the bike (Neil Morrissey) and discovers it only really runs at night, and does 'odd' things. Including taking on the entire gang who killed it's previous owner. There are some peachy keen one-liners in it and the eating of a parking wardens hand is just wonderful. The bike doesn't like crosses or garlic either, and there's a nice smattering of sexist 70s Brit dialogue, although the movie was made in 1990. 

The movie could have been absolute crap, but strangely it works - it's funny, it doesn't take itself seriously, and the priest scene describing demonic possession as being 'out of vogue' and Neil saying 'my motorcycle has turned into a vampire' is worth it. the priest yelling 'let's go kick some bottom' before the exorcism... even S enjoyed it. Dunno if i'd call it a b-grade, the scripting is actually OK and the editing isn't too bad either. There are big tributes to The Exorcist, and a variety of other horror movies of the 70s, but all done with cheesy goodness. 
For those of you wanting the movie - AroVideo, but note that it's on video.



The last two nights dinners have been tasty. Last night was a fish, scallop, green tea soba noodle in a seafood broth which is one of my favourite dishes, it's very light and tasty. Filling without being too strong or overpowering. Tonight was a nice artichoke, cheese and rocket salad (I added other stuff I had lying around, tomatoes, avocado etc) was also refreshing, tasty, and probably would have benefitted from some blue cheese. Sadly I'd eaten most of the blue during the week.

And I've only had one beer tonight.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Green tea soba noodles!? I wants!!

I haven't had anything to drink tonight. Don't need too- I'm high on marking tests. Fun, fun times.

Anonymous said...

Oh that was essential viewing when I was in secondary school! So bad it's good. I have it somewhere on VHS - wonder if some damn fool's put it out on DVD....