6 September 2009

Week 2 in blighty

Reflections on Week 2
I'm all in favour of short weeks, Monday was a bank holiday and Tuesday was a Uni holiday. Monday was a quiet day pottering around, having a look around Shepshed. Tuesday, I walked into work to find out A) how long it would take (45-50mins), and B) where the building was. 
So I started on Wednesday. Quiet first day, although the PC was all set up and stuff which was encouraging. Spent sometime talking to HR getting pay details sorted - which I felt was important - and getting shown around the department. 
Just to amuse people: I'm on a PC, a toshiba laptop. It's running XP, which at least isn't Vista. There are a fair number of Mac's around which is nice to see. Even a few in the office I'm in. I got laughed at by one of them as he wandered past when I had the apple site up … heh heh. Having issues with the bloody UK keyboard tho', the left hand shift key is half the size I'm used to, which means i keep typing \9 instead of (. 
Lots of good beer around, and there's a group that head down each Fri lunchtime for real ale and lunch. That worked for me. 
Even spotted a marillion coffee mug around the department.
Although on that topic, coffee is dire. Asking around revealed that my preliminary findings (all bad) were right. So I'll start organising a filter machine. Although that may need to wait till payday at the end of the month. So my caffeine intake has been low, very very low.I'm feeling rather good tho', so maybe I should cut down? Hmmm will consider that a bit more before I do anything rash. 
Purchasing this week: it got cold - immediately after my complaints about it being too hot - so i bought a duvet. And a jug as I was a bit sick of boiling water in a saucepan. Next up this weekend will be an ironing board as ironing on a towel on a bench isn't the easiest.
Bought a couple of shirts too, as a number of mine are 'on a boat'. They turned up today and look damn good. Trousers are next on the list. Yes, it's all go here. 
Having said that, dress code at work is very very relaxed. But hell, I like clothes shopping. So I'll look pretty (like a Mac) and still no ties - huzzah! 
Was going to head to London tomorrow, but won't now - might head to Leicester to find a filter machine and look at couches/tv's/DVDs etc. Not that I can afford them. Need a bike too. Ahhh the joys of having *nothing*, does give freedom to get stuff tho'. 
I can report that Leicester has a reasonable farmers market, and that the red leicester smoked cheese is rather yum. Even if the fridge now smells of smoke. I have a rather crap filter machine, but at least it tastes better than the plunger. Need to source good beans tho'. Oh woe is me.
The Marillion vouchers I won came in handy for a CD which arrived today, as did the new Mew album, and a boxset of Coen brothers (3.99UKP). So a quiet music evening tomorrow methinks.
Watching a spaghetti western thanks to Pearce tonight: and god said to cain (1970). It's all very dramatic, but kinda ok. 
In other news, my thursday night, now bereft of music quiz, involved reading my book (i've got time to read now, very exciting), and upgrading the baby to 10.6. Didn't take too long, and like most people I've found a distinct speed increase, particularly boot and shutdown. The upgrade to QT player is a very welcome change, and the option to save as PDF in TextEdit seems new, and a good thing. Havent noticed any compatibility issues for the stuff I've tried so far. So all in all seems ok.

No comments: