18 November 2010

Bluray and Hawkwind

I admit a certain level of perversity in wishing to have those two subjects in the title.
I managed to flog off my DVD player and upgraded to a Blu-Ray for no particular reason other than it could handle the DTS and SACD better than the Cambridge Audio DVD99 I had. Personally I think the sound from the Cambridge Audio may have been better, but convenience and more formats being handled made the bluray a more sensible option.

And I have to admit the DTS sound works much better with my amp. So all in all, win.

Reasons to buy bluray: Attenborough's Life. Damn was that a great series. I'd caught a couple on TV when it was shown, but had always figured I'd rather watch it in higher def. Glad I did. Brilliant series, and stunning in high def. Dunno what was the most impressive, mainly as it was all damn good. I know I've linked to the US version, but amazon UK has it quite cheap at the moment.
Next up was Watchmen on bluray. Been awhile since I saw it at the Embassy, thought it was an excellent adaptation of the book. Although I can see why people didn't like it. It's not an action movie, which unfortunately most people went in thinking it was. Anyway the bluray looks stunning and the sound was great. Mmm loud.  Haven't started working through the extras, but that's next on the list. It really did set the benchmark for movie adaptations of comics. Although I am enjoying Walking Dead at the moment. It's nothing brilliant, but seems well done.

Hawkwind. How underrated were they? For a band regularly described as a bunch of stoned hippies, they were incredibly tight live (Space Ritual should be your first album). A band for whom the term 'space rock' was invented. Lyrically and musically very tight, and creative. Most people will have heard Silver Machine  or Sonic Attack, but if you like your rock music pretty tripped out, but rocking, go check out their stunning double live 'Space Ritual'. I picked up the Special Edition, which comes with a DVD - which isn't, sadly, a live performance, rather its an audio (maybe 5.1, can't remember) live performance with some trippy visuals. I was rather hoping for a live DVD to watch the band, the large breasted naked dancer, and the visuals. I thought that would be rather superb. So if anyone reading this knows of a DVD performance, feel free to suggest away. By the way, cheaper at amazon.co.uk. Oh I do love this album (it's playing at the moment). Huzzah.

B



No comments: