24 June 2021

Pumptatus, the restoration Part 1

 I recently bought another pump organ. I was pining for the one I sold in the UK and restoring another one over winter was the obvious solution to all my problems. This one is bigger, more gothic, than the last one (which just looked like a mid sized standing coffin when shut). I sense candlesticks and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dmin in my future.

Pumptatus: well it's obvious really, Sphenodon punctatus....

Pickup involved a ute. In Hamilton. I felt very at one with my testosterone. Here's a picture of my newly acquired strops + ratchets, tarp, and rope. A recipe for BDSM success!


First job was to get it into the garage and assess it for woodworm (a little bit, nothing concerning). 

By that point I'd removed the recent-ish addition of a music stand with light. Next came testing keys/reeds, pumps, and stops. Generally good, there's about 10-12 keys or reeds which need work, there's even a spreadsheet...

At that point it's a slow process of deconstructing it, rather than go through every step, here's a few shots to show what's inside a pump organ/harmonium.









Currently state: lying on it's side, very naked. The varnish has been removed, and a medium sandpaper applied, next up is a fine sandpaper and beginning to restain it. Once that's finished, I'll spend some time fixing the reeds - as I'll have the room on my table.

Luv, your organ Pumper.

1 comment:

Tania said...

Such manly pursuits!
Happy pumping.