9 January 2023

Divergence Whisky (NZ) tasting

 While down in Christchurch I was tasting some curiosity gin from The Spirits Workshop, and noticed they did whisky. So tried some of that too, admittedly with some trepidation as NZ whisky is very hit and miss - more miss for me. In theory we should be making stunning drams, but alas not so much. But signs are positive with some excellent stuff starting to pop up.

I liked it. Enough that I bought the tasting set here (I also got some gin, but none of you care about that, I can tell you it disappeared very quickly which is a good sign). 

I don't seem to have taken a picture of the tasting, so I'll stolen this from their website (soz!)

Virgin French Oak

  • Nose: coke cola, vanilla, caramel, Benadryl, aniseed
  • Palate: aniseed, caramel, Coca-Cola lollies, orange,   
  • Finish: smooth med _ long aniseed

Very easy drinking, nice
7.5

Px Sherry Wood

  • Nose: caramel, chocolate, oak, aniseed, peaches/nectarines, marshmallow, vanilla
  • Palate: tingly, choc, aniseed, nectarine preserved oranges, ginger
  • Finish: med long v warming dram


7/10 nose is great, palate good. This is the one I tried at the Riverside market...

Port Wood

  • Nose: black berry, cinnamon nutmeg, apple  
  • Palate: cinnamon spicy smokers lollies port soft 
  • Finish: med sweet peppers

8 soft and interesting

All in all, I liked them. The Port wood was my favourite, but all good. I still have some left (200ml tasting sets are the best) so will be revisiting.

No comments: