31 October 2010

Halloween viewing

Halloween, stupid concept. That may just be cos I'm not allowed to greet children at the door, or rather I am, if I'm clothed. Pah. 
But it gives me an excuse to watch horror movies, and not just Jennifer Anniston. Urgghhh. Shudder. Anyway, it's a quiet day as I was at the Whisky Show yesterday, got home around 930 and fell asleep. No idea why,but a vague report will show up tomorrow. In brief, drank whisky, enjoyed it, scored some glasses, and 1/3 bottle of Bruichladdich. Booyar.

First up, the classic, the original. The weirdly affecting 'Haxan', a doco on witchcraft from 1922, although the copyright free version I downloaded has the worst soundtrack. Someone has dumped a bunch of classical tunes (including Lohengrin, Schubert's 8th "unfinished" etc.), which really don't work. I'd stick to the silent version. The movie is, in places, quite disturbing and it's interesting to consider how some scenes were received when it was first released. It's been years since I've seen haxan (I went through a silent movie phase), but it stands up well. Definitely recommended. And as I said, it's available copyright free from here. 

We've stocked up on horrors, so coming soon will be brief reviews of Let The Right One In, and Bergman's Hour of the Wolf. And Psychoville have a special on tonight.

Me

No comments: