7 October 2010

Whisky : SMWS 127.3

Currently it's hell at work. 10-12 hour days, far too many people have left stuff to the last minute, and I have to pick up the slack. I'm likely to comment on that in the weekend. Although I've also got the Freshers Fair on Sunday, so not sure when I'll get a chance.
But it's music night. And I've dedicated the evening to Floyd and Waters. Brilliant.

The SMWS have just released their first two bottlings from a new distillery, number 127. And to say I was excited may understate things a touch, for this is the manly Bruichladdich, Port Charlotte. Of whom I've raved about before. So the thought of the SMWS bottling PC really popped my cherry. They released two bottlings, 127.1 and 127.3. Sadly all of .1 were gone, but I managed to get a bottle of .3 'Beach BBQ for older boy scouts'
Both bottlings were limited to 235 bottles. .3 is an 8yo, bourbon cask, weighing in at 67% (WTF!). First notes are at bottling strength. Pt2 are with water, which it needs.

Nose: rubber, salt, vanilla, smoke.  (2)smoother, sweeter nose, vanilla, rubber, grass

Taste: salt, pepper, smoke, very strong,   (2) prickly (but drinkable), salt is stronger, fiery on the tongue, taste of furniture polish?, very warming, 

Finish: huge. fiery, salty, smokey. goes for years.(2) the smoke seemed to disappear, but the flavour and warmth seemed to last longer and turn into honey.

It's fair to say this is a monster. It is the biggest whisky I own, and blows the PC6/7/8 out of the water (hehe) for sheer stupidly huge Islay-ness. There's little of the complexity the PC's were showing, or rather, developing. But for all that, it is an interesting whisky, and with water, it opens up. What appears to be its strong point is the finish. It's massive, but becomes sweeter, literally like warm honey in your throat. Weird, but lovely. 
Going to give this one a 8.5/10. I'm glad I have a bottle.

Speaking of whisky tasting, we've gather a bunch of whisky lads at work, and willbe having a tasting soon. the line-up, as planned by two us, will focus on islands (not just Islay's) and I'll post some reviews up later.

No comments: