7 October 2009

Movies: Invention of Lying

I promise this will be a shorter post.

The new Ricky Gervais movie, now I'm not a big fan to start with. Didn't like the office much, found Extras ok, and think his stand-up is mildly irritating. Not a good start for going to the movie, but hey nothing else on and the reviews I'd seen had mostly been positive.
Yeah not so much. I found it a one-trick-pony, interesting premise, kinda funny start, then tails off as the sinking feeling of oh god we've only got this one punchline and another 90 mins to fill starts to kick in.
There are some excellent scenes, the pizza boxes doubling as Moses' tablets, and that the entirety of christian religion being based on a bunch of lies to make people feel good was funny and well done. Interestingly the religious bods haven't complained about this, given how blatant it is in the movie I'd have expected a few more howls of protest.

It does drag, it's not very funny and if you have to watch it I'd suggest DVD. 5/10. At most. And only cos i've just had lunch and am feeling relaxed.

B

No comments: