12 May 2011

Music week part 1

This week has lots of gigs in it. I like that.

On Sunday we wandered down to what's rapidly becoming a favourite venue in Leicester, The Musician see Mary Gauthier. I first heard her a few years ago when I got lent Between Daylight and Dark. She's that rare thing, a singer-songwriter who manages to hold your attention for an entire album. Her lyrics don't deal with the usual subjects, rather they remind me of Tom Waits. Very character driven, exploration of problems, lives, etc. For those of you who like Tom's music, but are put off by his voice, I'd recommend trying Gauthier. This is pronounced Go-Shay, according to her website.

The songs characters include Waitsian motifs such as the Hobo, given both Waits and Gauthier have well recorded histories of substance abuse, there does seem a strong empathy with the down and out.
The gig was just her and a fiddler, Tania Elizabeth, who was rather good (and hot). So good I've included a youtube of her as well.





Tuesday night was Greg Trooper who I came across thanks to a review inthe DomPost for Make It Through This World in 2005. Again singer-songwriter, although that albums veers a little too much into Eagles territory in places. Thankfully live he doesn't, and he's quite funny on stage. The songs are, as Trooper described them, generally focussed on depressed women. And they are great live.



Also enjoyed the layout of the Musician for these two intimate gigs, seats and tables. Great stuff. And they have great ale on tap. Even had Otley for the Trooper gig. Woohoo.

I've been listening to Anna Calvi quite a bit after her appearance on Jools the other week, picked up her album on vinyl (came with mp3 download). Good stuff. She reminds me of early Scott Walker (Scott 1-4) stuff, big voice, spacious production, and although initially standard sounding pop songs, the lyrics are a bit subversive.



Tomorrow I have the mighty caped-prog-gods Pallas, and Saturday has Andrew and I rocking along to Roger Waters.

If I'm still awake, we're thinking of going to Hayseed Dixie on Monday, as they are rather fun live.

Me.

No comments: