12 March 2012

6 Nations : Week 4 - maybe?

Honestly, I have no idea what week this is. Let's just call it four.
This past weekends games ranged from disappointing to annoying. Which maybe a good summary of the 6 nations.

Scotland v Ireland
I'm sure the Scots will mark this one off as another growing experience, or somesuch. But honestly, the amount of growing and learning experiences they've had over the last 2 years and their inability to catch the ball at vital times, y'know, by the tryline, suggests an ability to learn slightly less than a well concussed heavy weight boxer.
Contrary to other games, which they should have won, this one they probably deserved to lose. I realise there are qualifiers there, mainly as I think Ireland are very over-rated team. They are getting old, and it shows.
Stand out for me was Richie Gray.

Wales v Italy
Wales cocked this up royally. Sure the Italians are improving, and should have beaten England a couple of weeks ago, but the Welsh were playing very very well. They didn't in this game. In fact, they looked rubbish, very little go forward ball, and general confusion in their backline.
Final scoreline flattered them, but I suspect Warren Gatland wasn't holding back.
Speaking of Wazza, I love his pre-match interviews, it's so obvious he doesn't want to be there, and every curt response ends with an unspoken 'now fuck off'. Go on, watch the next one, it's hilarious...

England v France
Supporting France appears akin to supporting Wellington. I'd picked the French to be 1 or 2 in the 6 nations this year, and generally it started well.
But whatever team turned up on Sunday, really wasn't convinced winning was something they wanted to do. Useless bastards. I think I yelled at them as much as I do when watching Scotland. FFS.
So for a match they should/could have won, they managed to piss around, look confused and directionless, and only pull out the good stuff with 15mins left. FFS.

All of which is making Lancaster's bid for England coach look better by the day. I have to admit he's done amazing things to turn the team around, and they now have a backline that catches, runs, and scores tries. Slightly concerning from my perspective. I think as a team, it's too early to be saying they've got a good one, but the signs are there. They haven't been pushed hard yet in the 6 nations, and Wales were playing badly when they almost lost to the England (rather than England almost winning).
I don't think there's the toughness in the team yet, but sadly it appears to be growing.

This brings up a provisional team for the Lions this year, to be coached by Wazza. So here's my not really thought out picks:
England
Matt banahan; manu tuilagi (tho i think he doesn't have the skills yet); ben foden; ben youngs; owen farrell;

Ireland
tommy bowe; jamie heaslip;   -def not Sexton

Wales
entire frontrow; luke charteris; faletau; halfpenny; hook; north; priestland; jamie roberts; sam warburton (probable captain); lydiate;  -- yes ok, most of the welsh team.

Scotland
richie gray; david denton (maybe, he seemed quite good...); lamont;

Now, I haven't gone through and worked out if this actually selects a complete team. All I've done is flick through the teams and listed those I've thought are playing well.


B

No comments: