today's menu comes from my head. I wanted squid, I had squid. I didn't want chips. So I made something. It probably has a name. I'll call it 'steve'.
squid hoods for however many people you're feeding
sunflower oil for frying
onion finely chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1t caster sugar
1T (ish) pomegranate molasses
10 green olives [stones removed]
1T capers, rinsed
- Remove squid guts, and scrape clean, score lightly in a crosshatch pattern.
- Heat olive oil, and cook onions until slightly browned, remove (and drain).
- Add a bit more olive oil, cook celery, garlic, tomatoes, sugar for a couple of minutes, add pomegranate molasses, olives, capers until starting to collapse. Add the onions to the mix, mix in the parsley. Cook for a couple of minutes and place into bowls.
- Add sunflower oil to pan and heat to very hot, toss squid in the flour+cayenne pepper until well coated, and fry for 1-2 mins per side.
- Place squid on the mixture, eat.
I was thinking of using balsamic vinegar, but I'd run out, I think the pomegranate was a better choice anyway.