24 February 2007

Many things: Squid, gigs, scouts and idols

My personality is gone. Broken. Discarded. Like kleenex.

But the blog must go on so here's a new diatribe composed over lunch digestion.

Firstly, thanks to all those who commented on my thought for the day, I particularly valued your input Chris. A subject close to your heart. And Andrew, I guess you as a lesbian explains why you couldn't have a civil union with me - but sounds like the mawwage is still on!!!

So here goes my waffling, i have no idea how the segues are going to work, or indeed if there will be any.
More giant squid in the news, just after I post about the film of one, a colossal squid gets landed in NZ. I'm not ashamed to tell you, I damm near wet myself. Again. Pictures and stuff here. As you are probably gathering, I'm a big fan of giant squids. I think they rock, and weighing in at 450kg? That's cool. From my hazy memory of Steve O'Shea's talks the thinking is they reach adult size in around 2 years. Stop to think about that, from a few cells to 10m long and 450kg in 2 years. It's no wonder when they have relationship issues they go and bash up on whales. Imagine the teenage squids when their squidy hormones are all raging!! Wow!!
I found this interesting and thought provoking. The speed they grow led me to wonder if the cell division control is as rampant as in cancer cells. Although apparently this line of talking is enough to send people to sleep as the brunette started snoring through this line of discussion. Not just glazing off, but snoring. Don't worry dear reader, this didn't stop me. I just kept going and got louder.

Which means I can wear the following badges!

The "talking science" badge.
Required for all members. Assumes the recipient conducts himself/herself in such a manner as to talk science whenever he/she gets the chance. Not easily fazed by looks of disinterest from friends or the act of "zoning out" by well intentioned loved ones.
and the:

The "I blog about science" badge.
and most importantly the one Billy and Svend suspected I might get:

The "have violated the posterior of an animal in the name of science" badge.

Actually I might go through and put a whole post up of what badges I can wear. How cool would that be eh?!

Actually that segue worked well. Go me.

For various reasons, apathy being the biggest, I've watched the last couple of Fri night episodes of American Idol. Aside from the usual cynical you're all fuckwits type comments, I think my main gripe is that Simon holds back too much. He tells them they suck but he doesn't really explain how incredibly bad some of these people are. Another pet peeve is how all of the fuckin women feel the urge to add bad vibrato every fuckin word. But I'm just going to get bitter if I continue exploring my issues with AI so I'm stopping. Now. Right now.

Gigs: Calexico and Phoenix Foundation. Oh God. Better than some sex? Oh yeah baby. True Sam's guitar wasn't a happy camper, and neither was Sam - but PF sounded good. And the new stuff sounds quite rocky, but still wonderful and slightly psychedelic. Choice!!!
Calexico: I was still bitter about missing them last time in Wgtn. Which is why I bought tix months ago. Good thing I did as they sold out sometime ago. Opening with Convict Pool, it just rocked. And mexican-ed. And was beautiful. Damm fine trumpet playing, catchy melodies. For those of you of a certain age, or musically diverse interests, think Herb Alpert but with more rock/alt-country sensibility. And better. Much better.
Happy? Another wash the pants exercise.

Music: I've been listening to a fair amount of Borknagar (prog-metal/black metal) and Dimmu Borgir (apparently symphonic black metal, which does fit) which appears to cheer me up. Odd.
I too was surprised at these two. Normally I'm more a Swedish black metal kinda guy :-) (no seriously, I am).
I like the musical exploration in the two of them, Borknagar in particular. And as a genre that shouldn't work, symphonic black metal, the Dimmu Borgir is great.

Well back to writing, since lunch has gone.

Love, looking forward to beer, Bgrades and Marin, me xxx

1 comment:

Scarlet Dux said...

FYI I did not snore at that comment.

S.