27 January 2008

The movie page

of the Dompost. I don't know why, but I read it. I seem to be drawn to it, I know they only interview idiots and yet I still read it.

The most recent column includes such wonders as "Highlight: Julie Roberts" (movie: Charlie Wilson's War). Now I haven't seen this movie, but I will lay money on the fact that Julia Roberts is not the highlight. In fact anything else in the movie, be it the credits, the scenery, the script, the popcorn in your hand - even the fat guy wheezing in the seat behind you - is going to be more of a highlight.

Possibly topping that for sheer surprise value are reviews of Sweeney Todd. These includes gems such as "Lowlight: Too much gore" and "Creepy. You don't just cut people's throats like that." and "Too much singing...". Uhuh. Right and what exactly did you expect from a musical? Oh right, more sign language. It's also a musical about a 'demon butcher' who slits throats. That would, I'd respectively suggest, imply a level of violence, indeed throat slitting. Any knowledge of Tim Burton's oeuvre (ignoring Planet, as all good people should) reveals dark, sometimes twisted, humour. A level of violence is usually present. Nightmare before Xmas wasn't really a rom-com of the traditional form now, was it!

On the plus side reading these columns gives me a chance to point, laugh and rant. So it's not all bad.

Off for brekkie now, and coffee. Actually more coffee then brekkie.

Love and lozenges, B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, just do what I do. Read the comments, look at the pics, laugh and mutter "what a pack of munters."

Then turn to the lifestyle section for tips how to decorate your tree frog.