20 January 2008

Tonight Matthew, I'm drinking...


I went for a wander to the supermarket, the Island Bay New World. A Mr Maurice Bennett owns this supermarket, which explains the particularly fine beer selection there.
Feeling inspired I decided I wanted a something nice and warm, a fish madras seemed perfect. And indeed after many hours of sitting in the sauce it was.
To wash this rather tasty meal down I had a Marston's Single Malt, the single malt referring to the beer being brewed with 100% Golden Promise malt - used by Scotch Whiskey distillers. I like it, a lot. Worked beautifully with the madras. It's a very clean taste, very dry with strong hops. There is a distinct scotch hint to it. Lovely aftertaste too.
Definitely recommend this beer - at least an 8.5/10 from me. Not too strong (4.2%) and comes in the standard 500ml bottle.

As an aside I heard that the microbrewery Islay Ales has brewed a strong (9%) beer with the wort from Bruichladdich. Any of my beer readers tried this? Psychochicken, I'm looking at you...

Had a productive day reading/writing stuff while chilling to ActiveFM's Jazz and Americana shows. Now finishing my beer and watching Antiques Roadshow.

me x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 9% Islay Ale is/was the Worts n'Ale, as far as I know they don't brew it any more (unless they've made a new batch for this years festival).

Last year they made the Bruichladdich Peat Ale, which is very nice. I've got two bottles left, which I'll probably drink over the next month or so. As I wrote in my "tasting notes" it's a beer more suited to winter than summer drinking.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have tried the Bruichladdich Peat Ale as well, and though I am both a Whisky and an Ale drinker, personally I found this an interesting, but not particularly pleasant experience. The peat/smoke was WAYYYY too heavy for a beer, I felt.

It was worth it for a 'sip', but a pint was too much. I bought 2 bottles. I didn't manage to get through the first bottle, and passed the 2nd onto a good friend who also likes Whisky and Beer. The 2nd half of that bottle also ended up down the sink.

Obviously all my opinions, and I appreciate that other peoples tastes are significantly different. I should also add that this is in no way a comment on the other Islay Ales, some of which are jolly nice pints, and of course Bruichladdich who make some truely phenominal expressions.