18 February 2008

back again!

Back in town, gradually sorting the flat out. Trademe is getting a bit of a hit as we speak (sales, not purchase!).

Quick movie review time I think:
30 days of night.
Seemed to be loosely based on John Carpenter's The thing. Unlike The Thing, 30 days of night is crap. The bad acting is only beaten by the bad script. Sure it's a monster movie, but by god did it drag or what. The script and directing is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. But interestingly some points, which are not developed in the script (like asthma) are also slammed home. I cannot stress how bored I was during this, I sat through it hoping it would improve. It didn't.
Recommendation: in all honesty you might enjoy 27 dresses more (I switched off and watched te Big Fat Quiz 2007 instead on that one).

Juno
It's nice. It's fun. It's well written and directed, and the music is great. I know everyone has been raving about it, and yes its very very good, but I preferred Little Miss Sunshine. But Juno is one of the best movies of the year. The acting by the lead is brilliant, and it is very funny.
Recommendation: go see it.4/5

Sweeney Todd
It's Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, there's a 3/5 right there. I loved this movie - although after all the comments, I wanted more graphic violence. It isn't that violent, and it isn't that graphic. If you've coped with The Soprano's, then Sweeney Todd will be a breeze. I can count the musicals I like on one hand, and this is one of them (must be Mr Sondheim...). Sure the ending is ambiguous, but it works. the movie is fun, light-hearted and has some wonderfully black humour. Typical of Burton there is a specific look and feel to the movie, and (oddly) it's clean. London is shown as very very clean, which has the affect of focussing on the dirty deeds of Todd. Interesting tool that. Depp is, as usual, wonderful.
Recommendation: go see it, 4/5.

Beer: I've just sipped a Mata "Artesian", the ale is wonderful. Very drinkable, like it disappears so quickly and with such a gorgeous taste (and after taste), quite hoppy - but not too much. Go drink it. I picked it up, at all places, Pak'n'Save for about $12 for a 4 pack.

me xx

No comments: