29 January 2011

Movie: Black Swan

I like Aronofsky, I remember when Martin and I wandered along to Pi - stunningly inventive and original. Since then, I've enjoyed his movies, even if I was beginning to think the themes were becoming well mined. Even his flawed movie (the Fountain) was excellent and affecting. So I've been looking forward to Black Swan for sometime.
I came out disappointed. sure the acting is superb, Vincent Cassel (Mesrine) was an inspired casting move -  even Portman seemed good, unfortunately for her, her two main expressions, confusion or terror, brought to mind that prequel that should never have happened.
Although well acted, and a great soundtrack by Clint Mansell, it was territory well mined by other Aronofsky movies, and it was difficult to emphathesise with anyone - aside from Mila Kunis (and that has a lot to do with remembering her from the70s show...mmm...).
I came out feeling much the same as I did after Inception.
I'd like to think it was snubbed at the oscars, but have a feeling it will do reasonably well.

Rating: 7/10 could, and has, done better.

2 comments:

GB said...

SCOTW members were in agreement about Black Swan fyi...

buzzandhum said...

Haven't seen it yet, but your comments echo the Empire Australia review, which compared Black Swan, point to en point with The Wrestler.

However, they seemed to feel it made it a better film, whereas you're feeling you've just seen it all before.