5 January 2014

Albums of the year 2013

I'd like to thank our Thursday Night Music Night group for making me listen to a whole bunch of new stuff this year - even for me there seemed a lot of new, unusual, stuff that I spun. Not bad for a group that spun out from a few of us who like beer and music and decided Thursday night was a good night to combine these interests -- across many time zones too...
I've tried to link to the artists pages, so if you do feel like buying the album - get it from them. And marked which artists are from NZ as I was surprised how many are in the top10 this year.

The two that didn't make it into the top10:
Jordan Reyne - Annihilation Sequence   [kiwi]
The Eels - Wonderful Glorious  [which, as an album it is]

10= Gloryhammer,  Tales from the Kingdom of Fife.
Yeah, if you'd told me I'd have been rating a pisstake prog-metal album in my top 10, I'd have clipped you one. But it's ace. Go on, just watch this video - and if you get the chance to see them live, take it, possibly the most enjoyable gig of the year.


10= Nathan Haines - Vermillion Skies  [kiwi]
I've listened to NH over the years and never really clicked, enjoyable and good, sometimes great, live. But this album is something special, approachable jazz, chilled out, late night whisky drinking stuff (Neil, I'd recommend this one to you). He's apparently based in London now, so must keep an eye out for him...

9 Rhian Sheehan - Stories from Elsewhere  [kiwi]
Continuing on from Standing in Silence and Seven Tales of the North Wind, Sheehan's odd mix of spacious, atmospheric and yet personal instrumental music just gets better and better. Initially a little jarring, as the album is slightly closer and more intimate, and he's found a small glockenspiel kinda thing, but it's a grower. Wonderful stuff.

8 Light Bearer - Silver Tongue
Recommendation from Scott (possibly). Post-rock, metal, concept driven rock. Fucking great, brutal, powerful, melodic.

7 Roy Harper - Man or Myth
Eventful year for Roy (go google if you haven't heard). I've spun his albums occasionally over the years, nothing had really grabbed me, but reviews (and TNMN) raved about the new one. So I picked it up. Brilliant. He's a twisted, cynical bugger, and damn he can write dem good tunes.

6 Phoenix Foundation - Fandango  [kiwi]
The lads return with a big, bold, sprawling double album. Pushing the psychedelic more, and possibly their best? Certainly running Pegasus close. Enjoyed the gigs this year too, the Liverpool one was a bit ramshackle, bringing back lovely memories of those San Fran BH gigs...ahhhh....

5 Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest
First album in years. As good as the last one. Great electonic stuff.

4 Pere Ubu - Lady from Shanghai
Ok, I expected to like this. But not as much as I did. I dunno if it's a good starting point for Pere Ubu, but it's worth spinning - especially if youre a fan of late era Tom Waits, or late era Scott Walker. It's not as avante garde, but it's very fresh and very creative.

3 Fish - Feast of Consequences
Being a fan of Fish has, recently, been a fan with diminishing returns. So I preordered the new album out of a sense of duty (since I've enjoyed so much of his output), and the expectation of some great artwork by Mark Wilkinson.
Wow. Lyrically strongest for years, he's really engaged with the topics, musically almost up to the lyrics. And live, very emotional with the war suite visuals.

2 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
far more spacious than his more recent albums, shorter, and songs are allowed to breath. Getting close to being his best album? yeah I'd say so. And great to see live in Prague.

1 Steve Wilson - The Raven Who Refused To Sing (and other stories)
No surprise here. It's a blinder.

No comments: