17 July 2019

Whisky cabal: mini meet

During my recent trip to the UK, it was pointed out there hadn't been a lot of whisky posts recently. So Alec and I decided to fix that and actually made some notes as we headed to SMWS for the evening.

I realise it's taken three months to actually copy them up from Google Notes, but hey, deal with it. It has been a bit eventful here, what with job hunting and sorting that crap out :)

On the plus side, there's likely to be another whisky review in the next fortnight as I try a few new ones I've got lying around.

9.161 - Cream Tea at the Patisserie
N- fruity, vigorous, fruit salad, icing sugar, lemon, Chardonnay
P-fruity, tangy,
F- long, spicy, dry

7/10. A
W water
N- much cream n nose, vanilla,
P- pepper, banana, Victoria sponge is cooked
F- very long, very dry

Much more complex
Lost fruitiness
7.5/10


It's an interesting whisky, very sweet, and completely get why they called it the patisserie. Oddly both of us agreed on the ratings (7 and 7.5). Good, without being great. And for those playing at home, it's a Glen Grant. 2nd fill ex-bourbon, 11 years, 60.9%


30.106 Succulent, scintillating, substantialN- old leather, Sherry, Xmas cake, very complex, aniseed, sugary Demerara
P- spicy, leather, old cars, very dark sugar, make fruit loaf
F- spicy, long
9/10

This was a lovely Sherry whisky. Complex, interesting, and very dry. 2nd refill PX.

This was excellent, very very excellent. Glenrothes 57.2%, 21yo, definitely dram of the evening.

52.25 A morning at the beachN- salt, coastal winds, delicate, honey cured bacon
P- but of a throat clearer, phenol on finish, hides then smacks ya, oily coastal
F- nougat, medium, spicy, pepper, dry, oily

7.5/10

We felt we needed to end with a vigorous bacon, salty beast. This is an Old Pulteney, which is a distillery I haven't had many from. I liked this, very dry, 60.3% 11yo. but not stunning. Admittedly I think we were still a bit dazzled by the Glenrothes.

Of more concern was Alec and I agreeing on ratings. Apparently he's less argumentative if I don't see him for a year or so...

So yes, there ya go. I have a couple more from my time in the UK which may go up this week. And a tasting of four, maybe six, whiskies in the cupboard.

Also think the recipes may start up again.

me x

No comments: