8 September 2019

Whisky Tasting : Sherry Casks

So, I'm back. And went to my first Regional Wines whisky tasting in about 12 years. Many of the usual suspects were there, and still run by the lovely Daniel. Met up with Blair and Rich, again reuniting the old crew, to taste a number of sherry malts.



Kurayoshi Japanese Sherry Cask Pure Malt Whisky 43%
N: aniseed, apple, grain, marzipan
P: boring, sour, salty gose, apple
F: short, warm

6/10. Not good, acceptable at best. I'm not a big fan of Japanese whisky, but this was just dull. Nose was the best aspect.

Glenburgie 21yo Old Particular 1997 51.5% sherry butt
N: Dry, PVA glue, supporating wound (not my suggestion!), balsamic vinegar, maple
P: low alc? nothing really, honey, boring
F: short, warm

5/10 Again, disappointing. Seems like it had been left too long and the flavour had run off. Shame really as the OP bottles tend to be quite good. Saved me $210 NZ there :D

Glenlivet 11yo Signatory 2007 UCF 46% 1st Fill Sherry butt, Cask #900267 d.10/04/2007
N: light, melon, fruit salad, pina colada, banana lollies
P: smooth, coconut, salty, soap, grapefruit
F: short, peppery

6/10 Quite light, as you'd expect from Glenlivet, not a lot of sherry rocking along there. But, by far, my favourite nose of the evening.

Bladnoch Adela 15yo 46.7% oloroso cask
N: varnish, apples, hint of sulphur
P: very smooth, sounded, sulphur, salty
F: short

7.5/10 I liked this one more, don't know much about Bladnoch, but would hunt them out based on this.

Glendronach Revival 15yo oloroso cask 46%
N: PVA, cedar wood, jockstraps, malty, aged?
P: oddly effervescent, low alc
F: long, warm
7.5/10 pretty sure I've had this before, always a good choice. Thrown in as the mystery whisky.

Bunnahabhain 10yo Adelphi 2009 #90021 58.8% 1st fill sherry European oak
N: sherry, wood, cigarette ash
P: warm honey, inky, chewy, sherry, fudge
F: long, lovely
9/10 Adelphi are the best. Bunnahabhain are also good. This seems a good mix to me :D

Kavalan Solist oloroso sherry cask 57.1%
N: PVA glue, woody, polished wood, black tea
P: woody, sherry, no complexity
F: nothing short, dry
6.5/10 I've had this before, I don't like them. Nothing here to change my view on Kavalan. Technically good, but boring.

So there we go, unpopular rating by me for the Kavalan (everyone else loved it). But Adelphi won the night for all of us.

More soon...

B x



No comments: