16 September 2008

Mac, Time Machine, happiness

My Mac had a harddrive failure. On the plus side this was three days before the warranty expired (go my mac!), and I had been doing weekly backups using Time Machine (part of MacOS 10.5) so I wasn't too worried.

Yesterday my Mac arrived back with a new harddrive and got to test how my Time Machine backups worked. Nothing like an emergency test :)

So I booted off an install disc, plugged in my external harddrive (FW800), selected the Utilities menu and 'Restore System from Backup', found my most recent backup and left it to it. Took about 90 mins for roughly 80GB. And voila everything was back to how it was. Sure MacMail needed to rebuild it's mailboxes (a minute or two), Spotlight needed to rebuild it's cache, and iTunes needed to be pushed towards my external drive (where I store things), but aside from those very minor issues...
Time Machine is bloody brillant.

B

1 comment:

Chris said...

Have I ever wound you up about how mac people always refer to "my Mac"?