25 September 2008

Whisky Review - MJ Tasting

A tasting dedicated to the late Michael Jackson and his favourite whiskys. The selection was therefore a bit odd, and even more odd as there were no cask strengths there. All eight were 40-46%.

Auchentoshan triple distilled 21yo 43% MJ Rating 86 Hmmm now I've had 2 or 3 Auch's and never liked them. This was no different. Nose: syrup; bacon; sweet; honey; banana. Palate: sweet; muscatel. Finish: mid length. 6/10
Macallan 30s 40% MJ Rating 95 I thought I liked Macallan. I didn't like this one. Nose: sweet; dry maple; older. Palate: empty, ash. Finish: short. 5/10 Crap. I wouldn't use it for cooking.
Macallan 18yo Fine Oak 43% MJ Rating 94 (for the vintage version) Well this one was a bit of an improvement. Nose: sherry; raisins; muscatels. Palate: sherry; chewy muscatel; sweet; fruitcake. Finish: dry; smokey, medium finish. 7/10
Springbank 15yo 46% MJ Rating 88 Springbanks seem to confuse me, I love the one I've got (from the whisky society), but the others seem a bit lacking in complexity. Nose: salt, bacon, sweet, fruity, cheese. Palate: caramel honey, kinda soapy. Finihs: medium. 8/10 so I liked this one a bit more. huzzah.
Highland Park 18yo 43% sherry cask MJ Rating 92 Nose: light, kinda chocolate, ozone hints. Palate: low alc, light, kinda missed it. Finish: spicy and long. 6/10. No I didn't like this HP at all. Disappointing.

Over all the first five whiskys were very light and very similar in style/flavour. Not recommended.

Bowmore Darkest Sherry 43% MJ Rating 88 This was superb. Nose: salt, sweet, burnt rubber, oil, smoked eel. Palate: salt, complex, chewy, gorgeous. Finish: huge, excellent. 9/10. I loved this whisky it really was awesome.
Laphroaig 30yo 43% MJ Rating 90 I liked this one too. Nose: sweet, smoke, salami, disinfectant. Palate: fascinating, smooth, developing. Finish: medium. 8.5/10. Good whisky, I might prefer the quarter-cask Laphroaig more.
Lagavulin 16yo 43% MJ Rating 95 Very nice. Nose: phenol, smokey. Palate: salt, spicy but smooth. Finish: beach, long smokey. 8/10.

The second bunch of three were good. Certainly more interesting than the first five.

I think MJ and I dont' agree on much at all. I wouldn't rank any of these as great whiskys, certainly interesting, but not fascinating.
I was going to buy the Bowmore as it was very very good, but strangely I didn't. But it is wonderful value for money at around NZ $120.

B.

No comments: