7 September 2008

Michael Jackson - Beer report

Not that MJ, this was a tribute tasting of the beer and whisky writer, MJ (1942-2007) desert island beers.
Regional Wines have said they'll try to make this an annual event - varying the tastings from MJs top25 beers.
Pilsner Urquell the original pilsner, wonderfully dry taste. and cheap. I've always liked this beer.
Marston's Pedigree one of the few ales (is it? there's arguments about that) using traditional casks. It's hoppy, its beautiful, and never ever buy it in the cans. Get the bottle conditioned glass.
Cooper's Sparkling Ale It's Australian, and it's alright. It's not brillant tho, we figured that since MJ tasted it in the 80s, he'd probably had lots of crap and it was a refreshing change. It is cheap tho. Not really recommended.
Orval it's a love or hate it beer. having said that, my response is more a yeah its alright.
Rodenbach Grand Cru This is one of my top 3 beers (#1 is later in this list, and the other is the Ouze Boon). It really polarises people, but I love the bitter almost vinegar lambic taste.
Schneider Aventinus a Bavarian doppelbock, ruby-red (ish), choc overtones, yummy. I think I had this in Germany, things are vague tho'. Definitely recommended.
Traquair House Ale it's interesting, a Scottish ale, strong, tasty and I liked it. There was a lot going on in this beer.
Thomas Hardy Ale This is it. This is the beer I put at #1 on my list. There is so much going on that it's difficult to describe. The one we had had been aged for 3 years, regarded as 'young' probably 'too young', with a minimum 10 year aging, and 20 years recommended. How to describe? Chocolate, marmite, solid, tactile, stunning nose, so complex in taste, caramel, toffee, the list goes on.
The big question is should I buy some and try and keep it for 15-20 years?
Should I? Can I?

me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Rodenbach is one of the few beers I haven't been able to even drink the whole bottle of. Vile stuff. Like you say - a real polariser!!

Need to look out for that Thomas Hardy ale....