17 May 2009

Okkervil River

I'm writing this to the sounds of Nick Cave and the end of the world, and to the smells of French onion soup and date scones from the kitchen. Oh it's a hard life. Nibbles are blue cheese on a french stick and orange juice (no beer in the house apparently...).

I tried to engage enthusiasm for Okkervil River within my music addicted mates. I really did. The band are superb, and they have a reputation for brilliant live shows. So I picked up my ticket early - only S2H showed interest and sadly for him, circumstances prevented his attending. I tried, and largely succeeded, in not rubbing this in too much. It was a superb gig, even the support band The Family Cactus were great - go check them out. Actually they've got an album launch coming up soon - might amble along.
And the main band? Musically perfect, lyrically perfect, intriguing and what stage presence. the lead singer/songwriter is mesmerising, and these are not vacuous lyrics. He manages to go from alt-indie rock (almost punk) to solo ballad almost within the same song. I've only got Black Sheep Boy and a few tracks from various compilations, but I'm off to buy more ... My offer of consolation to S2H was that I think Old Crow Medicine Show were slightly better, but only slightly. Although from a long term musical appreciation perspective OR will last better.

And the obligatory video:

3 comments:

Mr A. P. Salmond, esq. said...

Sound quite good!

S2H said...

...and, whatdyaknow, the Hurricane's don't have a home semi after all...

MadMacca said...

I don't know if I am musically addicted, but they sounded pretty good!

Smackers.