14 July 2009

It's encouraging but...

A report, that's made most news sources this week, from Durham University demonstrates that UK children deem the bible irrelevant. That's encouraging. The problem is that teaching them correct information as to why it's irrelevant, a lie, and causes so much confusion isn't occurring.
If they were taught how to think, and explained why the koran, the bible etc are the bastion of the ignorant, then I can see how the news would be good. It would mean they are thinking, and ridiculing of religious zealotry could potentially end a lot of conflict. It won't of course, but I live in a happy place.

But I don't think this report is encouraging, I think it's a reflection of ignorance. I know the bible, I've read it many times, I've cited sections, I 've critiqued sections. I also think it's a pile of crud, but I know why I think that. I think these kids don't know why its irrelevant, as if things were going well, they'd be answering that evolution has led to the rich diversity of life we're busy killing. But they don't. And although the level of evolutionary teaching in the UK isn't good - it's certainly better than parts of bible-belt US tho'.

My position is similar to this report, evolution should be taught as soon as possible - and I agree with that report that 5 years old would be about right. The insidious nature of the right-wing creationalist idiots, means the early kids are taught to think, the better. This paper also suggests an early start, and also reflects my position that evolution should be taught as fact, not theory. It is well beyond any concept of theory as the public understands the term.

On the positive, if slightly surreal, side Richard Dawkins (he who thinks Steve Rothery is God), has set up a rival to scout camps. A summer retreat for non-believers, read about it here.
Most of this rant has been writing while listening to the Blind Boys of Alabama. I find that quite funny :)
me

1 comment:

Amanda said...

We started teaching our daughter about evolution when she was about 2

This popup book is a good start I think
http://www.amazon.ca/Life-Earth-Stephen-Holmes/dp/0764154567

I've been trying to introduce her to beginners comparative religion too over the past year (aged 5) on the theory that ignorance is bad and ultimately makes one more susceptible to fundamentalism