5 July 2009

Whisky : Highlands tasting

Although my Friday night wasn't the most exciting, I cleaned the oven. Yes, that was it. Oven cleaning.

But last week we had a whisky tasting of Highlands single malts, Daniel had tried to chose malts outside of those we've had before. I don't think it was that successful. None were bad, but there wasn't much that stood out. Never mind, it's added more to list of whisky's I've tried.

Clynelish 14yo I think it was the 14yo anyway. I'm not a huge fan of Clynelish, I prefer the dearly departed Brora next door. Nose: hint of salt, caramel, grass, sweet, age? Palate: kinda flat, a bit salty, tastes cheap. Finish: med-long, very weak hint of smoke. 6/10

Old Pulteney 12yo 40% Nose: sweet, fruit, low alcohol, mild. Palate: soap - really strong!, background of salt Finish: short, bad. 5/10

Old Pulteney 17yo 46% no chill filter Nose: incr alcohol, coconut, bright, reminded me of a Springbank. Palate: empty, rum, too light, salt, dry. Finish: medium, but not great 6.5/10

Old Pulteney 21yo 46% no chill Nose: salt, petrol, vanilla, and yet empty. Palate: banana, vanilla, salty. Finish: medium 6/10.

Glenmorangie Astar 57.1% non chill slow growth air seasoned Quercus Alba Yeah that's right, they tell you about the damn tree it's been bottled in. On the other hand, it's the first interesting 'morangie I've had. Nose: vanilla, sweet (from the oak?), maple syrup, marshmallows. Palate: sweet, spicy, full, caramel, bourbon hints. Finish: med-long, spicy 8/10

Balblair 1997 43% bottled 2008 bourbon wood Nose: sweet, maple syrup, mild, weak, banana, boring. Palate: soft, sweet, pineapple lumps, salt. Finish: none. soft-short. 6.5/10

Balblair 1975 46% bottled 2007 no chill/colour sherry casks Nose: older, leather, smoke, wood, caramel, complex. Palate: wood, smoke, bourbon, sherry?, kinda empty. Finish: med- but grows in complexity. 7/10

All in all, not outstanding. I hadn't had Balblair or Old Pulteney, but then again on the basis of this, I won't be chasing them either!

Me.

No comments: