5 November 2009

Whisky: Kilchoman and SMWS

Kilchoman 3yo

Colour: light, straw
Nose: salt, hint of lemon, linament
palate: aniseed, honey, thick (really thick!), sweet, salty aftertaste
finish: medium, salt heat builds near the end and stays, altho kinda empty.

It's a shame this is 46%. Is it a callous attempt to cash in on the hype by bottling more at a lower percentage? I'm wondering if it is, this whisky promises masses and generally delivers, but as a purist I'm left wondering what they've knocked out by diluting. The 2yo and the 1month old new spirits were divine. This is good, but not superb, having said that, it grows on the palate and the honey flavours really come through the more you taste. It is imminently drinkable, and at 35 pounds, a bargain. I think the 16yo lagavulin is better - maybe - but this is certainly better than the BL Rocks. Of the lower percentage Islay's I've had.
8/10

SMWS 122.18
I recently joined the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, and as part of their joining pack you receive four small (100ml) bottles. I've just opened the first one, 122.18 Oranges in a coal cellar, a 16yo 57.1% cask.

colour: light gold
Nose: vanilla, salt, citrus
Palate: odd, very odd. Manuka honey, sweet - toffee flavour, quite treacly texture as well.
Finish: warm and lingering, more of the manuka honey, medium length, but some pepper becomes evident later on.

A beautifully balanced whisky, even tho the nose doesn't fit the palate or finish. It's complex, yet reasonably light to drink. Region, hmm I'd guess Highland/Speyside, although it's a bit light for a Highland?  I'd give this one a 10. Honestly, it's superb.
A bit of google work (well ok, it's bookmarked) says this was from Croftengea, the Loch Lomond distillery. Which is a Highland malt. Mmm interesting, and very very tasty. Sadly no more bottles left at the SMWS.

SMWS 28.19

Colour: very pale
Nose: vanilla, very sweet, honey?
Palate: sweet and salty, unripe grapes, heather
Finish: salt increases, strong, and very long, peppery hints increase.

It's no-where near as complex as the one above, and by taste I'd suggest there's a strong coastal aspect. I'm not sure it's an Islay, possibly a bit further up? I only say that cos of the honey flavours.
Not as fascinating as the other, so I'm giving it a 8/10.
So what is it? Ooohhh a Laphroaig, so yes to an Islay, but quite different to other Laphroaig's I've had - and that's the honey.

Love, B

1 comment:

Neil said...

122 is apparently Croftengea - a peated dram made at Loch Lomond. Not sure where the boundary lies, but if it's a highland it's only just.

28 is Tullibardine. 29 is Laphroaig...

Don't worry - these mental bottlings are what SMWS is all about. I've had speysiders you'd swear blind were Islays and vice versa many times!