28 February 2010

6 nations pt 3

I think this is Part 3, have a feeling I missed the games last weekend? dunno. Anyway, I've just got back from a very relaxing week on London, I've got Mahler's 6th on, there's some roundball on tv (just over my toes), and I've been tidying up. Excitement abounds.

Wales v France looked to be the best game on, and conveniently it popped up on Friday night, when I could watch it. The French are by far the best of the teams this year, showing a most uncharacteristic tendency for consistency. They aren't afraid to throw it wide and open up the game, something that's missing from most of the other teams. Wales managed to look crap for most of the game, keeping it in tight, looking as creative as David Beckham in a post-match interview. The Welsh got some ascendency in the second half, causing the French to begin to go to pieces. Not helped by the sin-binning of Para (who is surely one of the best halves in the northern hemisphere), and the introduction of Michelek who displays all of the old school French inconsistency. Wales managed a good, if belated comeback, but didn't deserve to win.

Scotland v Italy I will never pick a dark horse again. The Scots have managed to utterly destroy any progress made by their win against Aussie. A fair and deserving wooden spoon winner for porridge stirring. Having said that, Nick Mallet seems to have taught the Italians the value of defence.

England v Ireland Meh neither team have looked like much this season. I watched the highlights, such as they were, and again it all seems very pedestrian rugger. Top marks to the Irish defence, I had a look at the stats this morning, they had no ball and managed to score 3 tries. So I guess something is working... The papers here seem slightly surprised (but not too much) that the English 6 nations attempt isn't going anywhere. Jonny W has come in for criticism that he's not passing enough, but honestly when all the team wants to do is run one off the ruck, why should he?

B

No comments: