11 February 2010

Thursday night music club #2

In the increasingly regular music club we've opened with Karnataka's new album The Gathering Light. I'm not a huge fan of female singer/songwriters, or indeed female fronted bands. I've tried, god knows I've tried, I've had hard core lady-rock people recommend stuff. It's all been to naught. Until Summer's End and Karnataka. They blew me away. There's celtic influences, there's rock, there's prog, there's elements of Marillion's Seasons End.
I haven't heard any of their older stuff, apparently there's a different singer. But I thoroughly recommend this album. It's magic. Samples available here.
To the point I may actually write a review of it. Yeah. Actually don't count your chickens ...

And yes Dave, you were right.

Beerwise: opened with some Badger, Blandford Fly. Stupidly I used some of this for marinating my fish with - admittedly the fish was superb, but still. It's lovely, not too bitter, hint of ginger, quite a full mouth feel, and slightly hoppy on the finish. Now onto the Hook Norton Brewery's Old Hooky. Not as good as the Badger, it's missing something interesting - fine as an ale, hint of chocolate (that maybe dessert btw), it's a session beer rather than a savouring beer.

Second up was the classic Genesis album Selling English by the Pound in glorious 5.1 sound. The remastering surgery performed on the Genesis backcatalogue was a revelation. I'd never been much of an early era fan, preferring Home by the sea onwards. But this stuff is gold. The mix makes sense in 5.1 and on the CD version, the clarity improvement is massive. Massive I tells ya. This had a downside, I ended up buying the three boxsets, although as I didn't have much Genesis on CD, this wasn't much duplication.

Last this evening will be the Brian Eno doco screened recently on BBC which I've been looking forward to, but hadn't organised myself enough to watch it. Seemed to be a good end to the music night. I may end up forgiving him for working with U2. But I can't guarantee it.

Loves, B

No comments: