13 March 2011

How should we judge?

The music press, the tabloid press, the quality press, so yes, pretty much all media, has been up in arms against dear Gwyneth turning up on Glee. Initially I thought this would be based on some deficiency in performance, nope, she covered a Gary Glitter song.
Gary, you'll remember, has a conviction for paedophilia.

So Gwyneth was being judged on her choice of song. Or rather composer.

Now I'm not defending Glitter. But it strikes me that at some point we need to think about how we approach art, and the artist. They are two different things. It's not a new problem, off the top of my head:
Wagner - anti-semitism
Polanski - under age rape (tho this was dropped during plea bargains)
Vikernes - murder
Spector - murder
Meek - murder/suicide
Lennon - IRA support

The world of music/art would be a poorer place without their output.

Stephen Fry presented an interesting exploration of his love of Wagner while trying to come to terms with Wagners anti-semitism.
That's the crux, can you separate the artist and the art? Should you?

I think yes, you can separate the two. I listen to a lot of black/death metal, does that make me a Satanist? well no, as an atheist, I can't very well go on and believe in Satan.
I like Wagner, and find the emotional power in his music sublime. I challenge anyone to hear Pilgrim's chorus and not be moved. But do I find this inspires me to hate a group of people (can't bring myself to say 'race')? Nope.

So rather than judge Gwyneth and Glee on, as the media are doing, promoting paedophilia, judge her on the song.
Absolute wankers can be utterly sublime artists.
Here, have some Wagner:


B

No comments: