22 March 2011

Strike!!

Unions at my current workplace are a little odd. There's a number of them, and they don't seem very co-ordinated, so those on certain grades are represented by one, and those on other grades by another. Today those in one of the unions (?UCU?) are on strike, complaining about various things, mainly retirement age increases and changes to the pension scheme.
I'm not a member of the union, and, afaik only one of my team is a member of this one.  So it's not affecting me much, although it's very quiet in the office since everyone else (aside from another member of my team) is off. Either on strike, or working from home, or holidays.

My issue with all this is that I don't think the union is being very realistic here. Higher Education has very generous provision of pensions, leave etc, so some realism in the current climate is required. I'm also unimpressed with the multiple union approach, makes collective bargaining difficult, and it seems very unfair for those in the other union. My team member, the one who is in today, pointed out what her conditions are which are not as good as mine, surely more unified employment conditions would be a better idea?

I do find some union members attitude amusing, many of them are taking the day off, but are just pottering around at home - or taking holidays for the day - if you do believe in the strike, why aren't you supporting people on the picket lines. Reports from the picket line suggest there are around 10 people on it. Devastating!!!

Since coming over here, my political positioning has changed. Back in NZ I'd certainly be comfortable as being described as left, or centre-left. Over in the UK, the work culture appears highly inefficient - well in HE anyway - and my leftie (NZ) tendencies are more centre. Which makes me slightly confused as to what's happening. Hell I even agree with some of the Tory plans. waahhh, this is really screwing with my head.

On the plus side, we've got the music on and having a productive day. Huzzah! thanks strikers!

me

No comments: