2 April 2011

Scotch report : Glenrothes 1994

Wandering through Schipol airport it occurred to me that a wee dram over the weekend, with good friends and good music, could be a good plan.

A nice chap was offering samples of Macallan, not my favourite dram, but thought I'd give it a try since he was persistent. If I bought a bottle, I got a free glass. Temptation. Thankfully I've got *a few* glasses at home, and the whisky was digustingly sweet. Avoid the 1824 Macallan Select Oak, it's only available duty free and should be left to those who don't know any better.
I did feel sorry for him when someone walked past wanting to know where the Bushmills was. Awesome.

Wandering across the aisle to World of Whisky, I had a few more tastings, and quite liked the 1995 Glenrothes, although still a little sweet. So I went for the 1994, around 30 quid duty free, and it was most excellent.

Glenrothes 1994 16yo
43% 700ml

Nose: grass, sweet toffee, sherry, very sweet
Palate: sweet, tasty, citrus, sherry, toffee, kinda chewy
Finish: med length, tingly, sweet, hint of pepper in finish

7/10 very nice, superb 30 quid actually !

Those of you wanting a bottle, it's available through Berry Bros

I've never had much Glenrothes before, but on the strength of this one (and the other tasting) I'll be hunting out more.

B

No comments: