5 June 2011

My weekend does not lack for excitement

Yesterday I went to Leicester, a city I don't like much, to drop off my DVD player to get fixed. It's been a tough week or so with no DVD player, but somehow we've coped. Headed back to Lboro and did some food shopping, and as usual got frustrated with the lack of things I wanted - although to be fair, it's much easier to find black treacle here than in NZ. And I needed that for the whisky cake.
Headed to the pub, our newly adopted 'local', the Generous Britain which has recently been taken over by ex-members of our previous 'local', the Swan in the Rushes.
Watched the Barbarians v Wales game there, which was nice - good beer, nice crowd, and another member of the cabal was there, then headed home.

Today, oh today, peaking of excitement. I've done writing. I've made a whisky cake to use up my Glenfiddich Solera (not a huge fan of 'fiddich), made some choc and blueberry muffins, roasted some veges for lunch, and about to kick off a vege green thai curry for dinner. A lot of this has been to procrastinate between writing bursts, but it's worked out.

Oh in sad news: the basil plants mentioned earlier in my herb growing efforts, have died. The parsley and coriander are growing like the weeds they are, but basil has passed on. Your thoughts at a difficult time are much appreciated.
If anyone has any tips for keeping basil alive, they'd be very welcome... the only time I had a healthy basil plant was in Queen St (Wgtn) and then the feckin' mouse ate it. No really, Mt Victoria vermin infestations are of a better class...

B

1 comment:

The Wycombe Wonderer said...

I also have exactly the same problem with Basil, there must be a knack to it but I'm buggered if I can figure out what it is.
Most recently I had one going in the lounge by the patio window, under the airflow of the heatpump. It was all going great guns and I was getting enough to make the odd bit of pesto, etc, then one day it just started dying off. It's like the stem is trying to 'harden up' (ie. go a bit more woody and permanent) but somehow this is just too much for the plant and the whole thing dies off.
If you get any good tips then let me know, as this was about my fifth attempt...