13 March 2007

Gelding Colts and Woot!!

Well I have a draft copy of my thesis as a master document. Which brings up issues about master documents. If anyone can answer the following let me know - quickly!

* under Print Preview it looks good (title page centered and stuff) but when it prints it Left Aligns all my centered bits (ooohhhh double-entendre, choice!)
* it's indenting all of the headings and subsequent text when it prints (looks fine in PPreview) so stuff comes out as
Heading 1
...exciting text stuff
......Heading 2
.........exciting text stuff
etc etc which a) wastes paper and b) if it gets down to Heading4 gives it f'all space to print anything!
---
While waiting for the blonde bit to give me a ride...home (oohhh haha I kill me!) since it was rather wet yesterday I did the crossword. When I'd run out of bits to fill in, and resisting the JossieB urge to either make up new words or fit wrong words in, I skimmed the paper. In the racing section the following snippet caught my eye:

Colt gelded
New Plymouth trainer John Wheeler has decided to geld promising two-year-old The Pooka. Wheeler believes the horse may have been feeling himself and this could have caused him to miss the jump in last Saturday's Diamond Stakes at Ellerslie. The horse will remain in work and Wheeler is confident he will be fit to tackle the Sires' Produce Stakes on March 31.

Which, I think you'll agree, is an absolutely perfect article. The mental image of a horse 'feeling itself' before a jump, its name and that its fit to tackle.

Love, B.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey, exciting having a complete draft! Go you!
I don't have specific advice for the indent problem but I'd suggest not having it as a Master Document. It's much easier to manage it as individual chapters. You might still end up in the final formatting stages, as I did, crying one night because half your footnotes dissappeared for no logical reason but if its confined to a single chapter it's much less upsetting.

Sphenodon said...

Nah I'm still convinced master docs are the way to handle it to keep my formatting and TOCs sorted. Apparently it needs to be 'normal' view to print out normally. Um right. yeah. of course.

I can also globally change formats using the MDoc which as half of the thesis was originally written in OpenOffice is a good thing.

b