5 March 2008

I'm back, it's scotch today.

As you may have figured the last few weeks have been a smidgeon busy in Sphenland. It still is, but I've got an evening to myself and have watched some QI, some Jeeves and Wooster, and am now listening to some A Prairie Home Companion. I might even get to read a *book* soon. I'm also warm having showered (after vacuuming, oohhhh the excitement) and have fallen in love with my new heated towel rail. Many of the worlds ills can be cured with warm towels. Ahhh blisssssss....

Anyway, back to scotch. Last Tuesday was the Talisker tasting at Regional Wines and Spirits. My usual boozer-in-arms has been captured by a babe-in-arms, and thus busy with an item much the same size as a bottle. Without the attractive fumes. I went to the tasting as I've been to the Talisker distillery on the Isle of Skye. There's the Skye boat song, but justly more famous is Donald Where's Your Trousers. I have fond memories of listening to that at my grandparents on vinyl with the voice of Andy Stewart. But back to Skye, catching the ferry from Mallaig, which in its self was 'different'. I remember finding a fish and chip shop for dinner, up a narrow pathway, order at a small window, wait until a parcel appeared. Why yes, a tinny house by any other name. But we got to Skye in our car (me, France and Caf), saw some more highland cattle - I've been trying to find the pics, there is one of France standing in front of a cow that starting urinating. Class. But I can't find them at the moment.
Again, I've digressed. The Talisker distillery was kinda slick, tour was slick, and then totally ruined by a very broad aussie accent encouraging us to drink some. It wasn't good. Rough and far too peppery from memory. From the tasting, this may have been the 8yo which they no-longer produce. So basically I went to see if I was right or wrong having been dissing Talisker. See, never let it be said I'm not open...

The best? Without a doubt the $550 bottle, Ltd Ed 25yo 57.8% bottle 01123 of 21000. bottled in 2004. Sublime. Sweet caramel nose, smooth supple gorgeous palate and very very long finish. But, and this is interesting, it was very very similar to my Edradour 24yo. A snip at 100UKP. The next two for me were the Talisker 18yo (strong muscatel nose; very sweet caramel butter palate; reasonably short finish) and the surprise the Dun Bheagan 8yo 43% - at $60 (roughly). This cheap wee dram had a light vanilla nose, very smokey and pepper palate and more vanilla mid length finish - I did note that the finish didn't really deliver on the potential. But at $60 I'm not complaining.

I'm beginning to think I need to check out more of the Dun Bheagan's, the 24yo Brora Dun Bheagan I have challenges the Edradour...that should wake Neil up a bit...

See I felt sorry for you lot not having any me to enjoy recently, so link-a-rama in this blog.

me xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Challenges??? I think it could take that challenge (still looking for somewhere other than the distillery that stocks that).

I brought in the year with an 18yo Talisker. Lovely it was too.