5 July 2008


TT 3-4 July (and early 5th July)

Synchronicity is a funny thing. Call it a Fellini moment if you're so piscine inclined, but sitting in Auckland airport opening up Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and reading the forward dated 3 July 2005 suggested, to me at least, that this was a good reading choice.

So thank to the lovely Patricia for the loan of this. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
This section of the missive comes to you from Hong Kong. That came as a surprise to me, for some reason I thought the flight went through Singapore. Oh well. 
I'm currently stuck in traveller's purgatory, transit. Further investigation revealed, although signs were notably absent, one had to pass through Departures in order to get to the duty free shopping. So I did. Only had 40 minutes to fill in, it was a very brief stopover after-all, so didn't really do any shopping, just sat around and read my book.

Flight from HK to London was fine, for some reason even tho' the flight time is less than to Auck to HK it always seems longer. I guess that's because I sleep form Auckland. Food was good and I managed to get a bit pissed over lunch while heading in to London. Either the steward was really nice guy, or he was hitting on me. I expressed interest in the pinot noirs (good NZ selection) so after the third one, he wandered off to Business class and found the ones they had there and brought them to me. Woohoo.

Landed in the UK and fought my way through UK customs which has become more of a nightmare than ever. On the plus side I was one of the first off the plane so only had a 40 minutes wait. Then tube to Kings Cross to find Andrew, who didn't recognise me with the hair. Result!
Dropped stuff off at his place, had a shower (oh god, better than sex, well some sex, oh ok, it was a nice shower), and headed to the pub. Oh go on, pretend to be surprised!! Drank a bit, met up with Alex - who also looked shocked. Heh. Good plan that one.

Went home, watched some Braniac while we ate dinner then I fell asleep just after 9pm. Rock n roll bruvva.
Writing this from the train to Edinburgh on the way to Glasgow, there are bugger all directs to Glasgow on Saturday and this one was quicker than those anyway. Yeah go figure. But again with the 1st class, they bring me coffee (which is, to be very charitable, adequate), free wifi on the train which is awesome, but the power socket doesn't work so I only have about 40mins of battery time left. Dammit. And I can't charge my phone, which is also dying. Oh well I've texted Neil that so hopefully he'll still turn up to find me...
We just went past a bunch of anglers sitting on a river, masses of them, all looking intently at the river. Quaint. Oh yay, trainspotters, quite a sizeable bunch of them in Doncaster. Right, mental note to avoid this place :)

Right well I'm going to blog this one, and will catch up with you lot in a day or two.

me x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the hair worked.