9 July 2008

Whisky. No really.



7 July Whisky Hunting!

We arrived in Edinburgh after particularly vicious ticket inspectors, who eventually won making me write down a day on my travel pass. Well yeah OK they were in the right, but still!!!

Meandering to the Royal Mile we had a look in a couple of whisky shops for the Ardbeg Still Young, since I've had it twice, loved it, and have been unable to find it since it's apparently run out. Pah.
Neither of the stores we visited had it, but thanks to some superb friends of Neil's there is a bottle left in London (cue sound of pattering feet...).

Neither shop showed any inclination to let us try stuff either. I guess that's a reflection of being on the main tourist drag (feckin' pipers every block too). The new Ardbeg is out, it's called Renaissance, and is the culmination of the very young, still young and almost there lineage. The guy in the shop had described the almost there as creamy (I can't remember it being creamy) and said the Renaissance seems to have lost that. Probably worth a taste, will see if I can track down someone who will give me some.

I asked after the PC7, and no news of a release date for that.
One of the shops had a 150-200UKP of Brora. And yes I did look more than twice. My love for the Dun Bheagan 24yo Brora is well known, and indeed every Brora I've had I've enjoyed (see later for more). One also had a bottle of the 42yo Black Bowmore with POA on it. Seeing as the bottle at Regional is going for NZ4500-6000 I could appear knowledgeable, although not keen enough to buy it.

And then we decided it was time to head out to the tasting rooms, located in the backblocks of Leith. There was sun out, so I got to make a reference to the Proclaimers. Never been able to make that before, since it's been raining every other time.

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society was set up by a group who bought casks from the distillery and eventually bottled them. It expanded, and now they buy casks that don't fit with the distilleries main focus, so everyone wins. Cos let's face it, only whisky nutcases are going to want to try the strange stuff. The place itself is all wood and leather, with fireplaces, but doesn't suffer from stuffiness - which I guess is a risk for places described as a club. Very knowledgable staff - well except for one newbie - and the best, Louise, was hot and loved whisky. *swoon*
The club doesn't identify the distillery, or rather describes the distillery without naming it. Although useful websites are available.

We started off with one called Sea Salt and Pork Crackling. We learned later this was a Springbank, a distillery which this week has announced a shutdown for two years while they expand. This whisky was just mad. The nose promised one thing, the palate did another, and the finish rocked along to an entirely different place. There were hints of burnt orange, phenol (not too high), smoke, grass (maybe) and tasted nothing at all like the Springbank I've had previously. Which is entirely the point of this place. We were both smitten. If that's a word you can use to describe a drink.

Meandering to the bar we got chatting to Louise. I explained what I liked, and said I just wanted random weird stuff, so she let me taste a Japanese whisky. Not something I tend to do by choice. I can't remember what it was called (but don't think it was a Suntory), taste was salty burnt, it was ok, but nothing special. I asked if they had any Brora, which they did. Sadly no bottles left to buy, so I tasted it instead. Quite similar to mine, so didn't bother with a dram (Neil did), so complex, so rich, so good.
Ended up trying something, which I can't remember the distillery, that was very smokey and tangy, but also strangely light. Enjoyed this. Whatever it was.

The first whisky I had that spoke to me with levels of complexity and interest was one I picked up at the whisky shop in Heathrow, following our first visit to the UK many years ago. i'd been tasting a 14yo Mortlach and was about to buy it, when the guy who I'd been chatting to suggested I fork out the extra 10 quid for the 21 yo. Good plan. that was an interesting tasting, I said I hadn't had much whisky, but had liked what I had (which wasn't much at that stage), and what would he recommend for a beginner. Knowing his stuff he suggested highland malt - which if I were in his position now, I'd do the same. So as nod to my whisky beginnings, I had a Mortlach. And it didn't disappoint, lovely nose, complex caramel taste with a hint of pepper (not much tho'), and a nice long finish. It appears my introduction to the real dram was a good one.
I checked and there were no more bottles of the Arran I'd tried on Saturday, which was sad, but the nature of their supplies.

We had something to eat about this point, as we're responsible drinkers. And being interested in the whisky tastes, we'd been cleansing palates with a reasonable amount of water - see how good we are!!

Next up was the Caramac and gooseberries. This was apparently from Aultmore, which I've never heard of. A 15yo malt, oaky wood taste, subtle fruity (guess thats their 'gooseberries') taste, but with some kick. This was annoying as I'd also be happy having a bottle of this one. But I can't be greedy.

I finished the night with a lowland malt. Now if there's one thing I've learnt over the last year or two it's not worth having preconceptions about regions or ages of whiskies. I've had tasteless $500 bottles (Glenfarclas), I've had complexity that beggars belief from young whiskies (PC6), and I've had Islay malts that appear to be missing salt. I hadn't had a lowland malt that had much going on tho', until then. This was an 18yo from the recently closed Little Mill distillery. You'd swear it was about 25yo and from the highlands. A huge nose of caramel, sherry and leather, was followed by a massive sticky toffee, molasses, cream, sultanas palate with a finish that was still going hours later. It was probably a 10 on my usual ranking scale. Think a bigger, heavier version of a stunning highland malt and you'd be on the right track.

So what did I get? Well the Little Mill bowled me over, but it was similar to other whiskies I've had, which isn't the point of the society. So i went with the Springbank. It was doing things whisky, and in particular Springbank's shouldn't be doing. Or rather it was doing them in such a schizophrenic way you wouldn't expect them all in one whisky.

This was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with whisky. Neil's jealous of the Regional tastings as I get the opportunity to try whiskies from all over the place, which is rare (if not absent) in Scotland. But he does have the Society, so I think we both come out ok.
Great whisky, company, food and such a relaxed environment.
Slainte!

No comments: