24 August 2008

Booze report

Two in the weekend? Anyone would think I like a beer...

The lads and I were having a wrestling viewing Sat afternoon (Summerslam 2008, and ol' skool Wrestlemania IV), so I took the opportunity to drop into the re-opened Glengary in Kelburn following the fire (WAHHHHH).

Dux Lager from the Queenstown brewery. Advertised as a classic NZ lager. This is a blatant lie. A typical NZ lager is sweet to the point of being undrinkable, generally frozen (to make it drinkable), and served in 1L plastic containers. Dux Lager is none of these. It is however classic in the German lager sense, dry, crisp, refreshing and worth drinking more of. Recommended.

Fuller's 1845 Sorry Neil. Interesting ale this one, high alc (6.3%), full bodied, bottle conditioned (but travels ok apparently), tangy flavour, hint of citrus, but mostly I got whisky. Which makes me wonder what was in the casks before beer...very drinkable, possibly my fav of the Fuller's I've tried.

Invercargill Brewery Boysenberry Another fruit beer from NZ. I'm becoming convinced that we don't do them too well. This one is based on a wheat beer with boysenberry. Don't get me wrong, very very drinkable, tastes like ribena. But I think, on reflection (after another sip) it's a little sweet. I'd go for the Emersons JP in preference to this.

Me.

No comments: