12 June 2009

Porter, my beer

It's winter, time for porter. I like beer, I like dark beer, I like porter. So while wandering at Regional I found a number of NZ brewers have put out porters, and in the spirit of experimentation I grabbed some.
Having a quiet night tonight as feeling a bit tired and it's crap weather (shakes fist at raingods...with zippos)
Here's my reviews (note tasted over many nights so reasonably sober).

Three Boys Porter Three Boys have released a number of superb beers. This isn't one of them. Was weak, hints of chocolate etc., but nothing strong. Dark colour, not much coffee (sadly), nice head. 5/10
Renaissance Porter Ale Renaissance is one of my favourite NZ brewers, and this is a superb porter. Pours dark, chocolate, coffee, lovely head, hint of plums (which is good), oh and great aroma. 8/10 need more. More damnit !
Peak Brewery Cornhill Porter Haven't tied any of Peak Brewery before, a small brewery from Waiarapa. It's ok, dark, nice head, choc hints, coffee 5/10 not good enough to make me check out more.
Speights Distinction Porter An accidental tasting this one, was on tap at Bodega so in the spirit of work, I had one. Good choice, it's a good porter. Strong body, nice aroma, chocolate etc., 6/10 certainly a step above the two small breweries, which surprised me!

love and lollipops, B

2 comments:

Scott said...

That Renaissance porter is pretty damn good, isn't it?

(I think we might be going into this weekend's tasting with some, um, bias...)

Neil said...

Was drinking Sam Smith's porter the other night. It was a squillion degrees and bright sunshine. Didn't care. It was nice.