3 June 2009

Whisky-Obscura

Whisky Tasting 27th May 2009 : Obscura


This months whisky tasting was part one of two from Dram Fest ’09, which I’d missed. No I’m not sure why either. It was a close thing, basically made the decision not to go the night before. Perhaps next time.


So Rich and I wandered along to this tasting, both of us managed to get on - I had previously booked the previous date (20th) which turned out to be graduation. One of those made it into the diary, the other I made it to. Rich and I had also decided not to go drinking after the event...mainly as my boss knew we were heading to a tasting.


Highland Park 1989 Murray McDavid 46% 2500 bottles 17yo Bourbon/Grenache Blanc Highland Park is a reliable brand name, it’s hard to find a bad one. Nose: raisins, sweet, bread, red wine. Palate: not high alc., sweet, salty, smokey, nice! Finish: smooth, medium, warm. 7/10. It’s good, but not great. Certainly not something you’d complain about.


BenRiach 46% Pedro Minez finish. This was the mystery malt. Nose: older, wine, sappy, mint? Palate: weakish, rather like a beer. Finish: short, boring. 5/10. Avoid.


Benromach Organic 43% An organic whisky? What’s the point? Well, nose: rum, soap, very very rum. Palate: odd, beerish. Finish: tastes like rum, boring, rap. 3/10 Apparently no point to organic whisky. Avoid like the plague.


Adelphi 22yo 55.2% Breath of the Highlands 159 bottles cask#1066 1985-2008 Adelphi, an indie bottler who never disappoint. Even their blend is great. Nose: high alc., smokey, age, chocolate, wood. Palate: dusty, lovely, caramel, smoke. Finish: peper, xmas cake, long. 9/10 A superb whisky.


Adelphi Clynlish 14yo cask#7541 1993-2008 57% 282 bottles Another Adelphi? Oh well, if I must. Clynlish are a distillery I should like, but have never really clicked with. Nose: nice, soap, sour, grass, cream. Palate: salt, cutting, spicy-chilli!! Finish: med-long. 8.5/10 very nice whisky. Wouldn’t complain if I had a bottle, but sadly what normally have been in the top 2 of most tastings, if cut a bit in this one.


Adelphi GlenGrant 22yo cask#10184 1985-2008 62.1% 167 bottles Rich likes GlenGrant so I was keen to give it a bash. Nose: aged, apricots, savoury, cream, sultanas, xmas cake. Palate: lovely, salty, very high alc., sultanas, hot, spicy. Finish: hot, long. Superb whisky 9/10 Adelphi? Again? Well no major surprise there.


Adelphi Mortlach 17yo cask#5945 57.5% 1990-2008 516 bottles I love Mortlach, it’s the malt that got me into whisky (a Gordon and McPhail bottling), and every other expression I’ve had has gone down well. Nose: maple syrup, caramel, rum, chocolate, excellent!!! Palate: wood, xmas cake, chocolate, sherry, hint of pepper. Finish: medium. 9.5-10/10 So sue me, I like big complex intriguing highland whisky. I’ll take an average highlands over an average Islay any day, possibly reflected in these ratings.


Our tasting rated the last two as 1st equal. So I’m ok with them heading to Best of the Best. Hmmm tasty. And on a week when my Lagavulin 16yo bit the dust. Oh woe is me. What to do.

This blog has been brought to you by the sweet sounds of Duran Duran ‘Astronaut’, which sounds oddly like Justin Timberlake.


Me xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know where there is a good stash not far from your place - only takes 30 hours to get to it - not long at all in the big scheme of things.

S