3 August 2009

In which plans become thigh-high leather boots

Soooo, to clarify the plans alluded to recently. I handed in my resignation a couple of weeks ago, as I'd had been job hunting for sometime, and decided I need to shake things up a little.

This went down well at work.
Coming as it did as a surprise to all aside from my manager and a couple of my minions :)

It wasn't quite as spur of the moment as it sounds, I had had a couple of interviews and had three lined up for last week.
This could have gone badly, a whisky tasting then an interview at 4am on Thurs morning, and another interview Fri morning 130am. In a strange twist, I gave up the highland whisky tasting, on the plus side the two best were ones I either had (Glenfarclas 105) or have tasted (Aberlough A'bunagh - ignore spelling, it's early morning).
The 4am Thursday (Oxford) went well - it was supposed to be a skype interview but my cablemodem connection died 5 mins before it started (thanks TelstraClear - actually it's the only problem I've had with them, so I'm not complaining), so turned into a phone interview.
The 130am Friday morning (Loughborough) went really well - had a technical interview for 30 mins first, then they rang me back at 230am and said I was through to the formal interview which was another 30 mins.
Friday at work was a bit surreal, severe sleep deprivation caused a number of stream of consciousness emails to my team. As they know me, they managed to cope OK with that. I had a job offer in my email on Saturday from Loughborough, which was great as it was the one I wanted. huzzah!

So in the spirit of a boys-own adventure tale (Captain Blood, King Solomon's Mines, but not so much Brokeback Mountain) I'm off to the UK. And as every good adventure tale requires a femme fatale, there's a woman involved (see, I said it wasn't like Brokeback) so everyone say hi to Sharla...she's convinced I'm heading over there for her, so the rest of you, don't mention Marillion... :D

In an uncomfortable twist, I've moved back to live with my parents. So far (well ok, since 1pm yesterday) we're coping OK, and I'm out each night this week, then to ChCh to see dickhead and the little princess.

More to follow at some point.

Me xxx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lies - I know you love you some Heath!!!

S.

Amanda said...

I am very happy for you (and your femme fatale) that things have worked out as you wanted and I wish you all the luck in the world on your adventures. Although I am jealous that you are getting to escape our mutual employer. Also I am extremely concerned that I will no longer have a go to personal person to consult in ITS for all my little computer concerns. (It's not too late to change your mind, you know!!) ;)

michael said...

Whoa, congrats on the job offer and all! Nice one.

Pachyderm said...

Good stuff - and trust you survive the return to the womb (more or less). We want to catch up with you before you go and I'm glad it's working out with you and S!

R

Neil said...

We're glad to have you sir.

Anonymous said...

Dude! Congratulations. Will we be getting the UK through the bottom of a whiskey bottle in future posts, then?

You know, this means I'm rapidly running out of reasons to visit the old stomp ground when I'm in the land of housing perks and horizontal rain...