11 December 2009

The bells, the bells !!!

I had a look at my Last.FM page the other day and noticed I've passed the 40,000 track plays since I joined on the 3 October 2006. So it seemed reasonable to have a look at my play habits (no, not like that...).

Firstly, I do listen to most of my music via iTunes so unlike the Chicken, my Last.FM is a pretty accurate reflection of my listening habits. I am that sad that if I'm listening to vinyl and I've got the album on CD, I'll spin the ipod as well to keep things up to date. If anyone says OCD I will flounce, dramatically!

The top5 artists since I began scrobbling will come as no surprise to anyone:

  1. Marillion
  2. Tom Waits
  3. Porcupine Tree
  4. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
  5. Pineapple Thief
Actually I'm quite pleased the Thief got in there - certainly the band with the fewest number of albums in that top5. 

Apparently I've listened to 1410 different artists. That's quite a few. I blame compilation albums, and in particular my love of obscure funk albums. Yes, you heard me right, I love funk. 

The top5 albums is interesting and reflects what has been released since I joined Last.Fm rather than what my top5 albums actually are (Marillion : Afraid of Sunlight will always top this list, followed by Beethoven's or Schubert's 9th symphonies).
  1. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
  2. Mew - And the glass handed kites  (ok, I utterly love this album, it's beautiful bonkers)
  3. Marillion - Happiness is the Road : Essence
  4. Marillion - Happiness is the Road : the Hard Shoulder
  5. The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site
Nice to see the Weakerthans popping up tho, I am very partial to that album - fans of the 'Hip or earlier Snow Patrol should check them out.

Top5 tracks are not a massive surprise.
  1. Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight
  2. Marillion - King
  3. Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere but not here
  4. Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
  5. Muse - Map of the Problemmatique
I did rather thrash Black Holes by Muse when it came out, but the top3 seem reasonable. 

I like that at numbers 20/21 of my favourite artists are Phoenix Foundation and Sam Flynn Scott. Heh, it's like there's a bias there :)

There ya go, a very rough n dirty breakdown of my listening habits. Should there be demand I can do a more indepth critique of it all, complete with what I'd say were my favourites as compared to Last.FM's perspective.

Me

No comments: