17 December 2009

Whisky review : SMWS

Been awhile since we had a whisky review and I've got a few lying around I haven't reviewed - for my own collection if not yours.
I've got a few SMWS drams to get through, so I'll work my way through them over the next fortnight, I've also got some notes and a 20yo Glengoyne to blog about, so whisky galore... It's also very chilly here (well it did snow today), so whisky will keep my warm and save electricity. See it's a win for everyone. Well ok, me, although if you dropped by I'd be happy to share - except to Mr Upton and his freakin' L and P :p

Background: the SMWS buy casks from distillers that don't fit that distilleries profile, bottle them and sell them to their members without obviously identifying the distillery.


13.43 SMWS Mediavel combat dram
19yo refill butt, ex sherry; 59.2% 1 of 576 bottles

Nose: Glue, Sherry, both quite strong. hint vanilla, quite a subtle nose, rubber.

Body: honey, velvet, christmas cake, sherry, treacle, 

Finish: long, tingly, honey - manuka, 
Rating: 9.5/10

Why yes, I do like this one. Really complex, it changes in the mouth, and the finish rocks on for ages. I'm almost tempted to add a little water as I think a bit more will come out, maybe next time...


Oh, internet work tells me this was a Dalmore - which fits as I've liked other Dalmore's I've tried.


Me.

No comments: