5 January 2007

Almodavar

Last night the brunette bit (as she's yet to be called) and I watched Pedro Almodavar's Bad Education, or those of you who prefer the original, La mala educacion. Almodavar is one of my favourite directors/writers and this was one of the movies of his I hadn't seen. In keeping with his movies, it's a gentle meandering pace. But with so many twists and turns and slightly surreal tweaks that keep you giggling most of the way through. Admittedly some may find the subject matter not very giggle worthy (sexual molestation). But eh, I did. In the hands of a lesser director it could have turned kinda bad. The acting ability of Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal (Motorcycle diaries) who ends up playing three characters - probably a few more actually given his changes in personality through the movie - really holds it together. It is a very slow 100 minute movie, but it is one to lie back with a glass of wine (sadly I didn't have this) and immerse yourself in. The story is wonderful, complex, confusing; the acting excellent; directing excellent. Definitely recommended.

me xx

No comments: