29 January 2007

Marillion and Little Bushman

The new Marillion album is available for pre-order with a DVD from Townsend Records. Go on, buy it...

Went to the Little Bushman gig on Sunday night at the Soundshell with the brunette bit. Great gig, I like the psychedelic blues rock and long meandering songs. Oh stop making those prog comments in the back row. I had a witty and useful description of what they sound like, but it's gone now. So instead here's a link to some samples from the lovely people at SmokeCDs. As most of you are aware it's Warren Maxwell's new band - he of Trinity Roots and Fat Freddy's fame. This band has the gentle meandering vocals of Warren, but far more balls in the music. It's good. And live the songs are better than the studio versions. They did play a new track, sadly it was a slow ballad which meandered and was a really bad choice for a live outdoor gig.

B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, this reminds me of something I was meaning to ask you at some stage, Brucie.

Have you heard / heard of Jim Moray?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Moray

I heard, on National Radio (because it sounds like us, donchaknow), a live show of his from Womad '05 in New Plymouth. And it was really quite good.

I've only heard that one performance, but I'm going to keep an eye out for some of his stuff, and it occured to me that you may well like him too.

He starts from the English folk music tradition, but he uses modern instrumentation and arrangements... in the show I heard, there were also some moments of wiggy guitar and synth solos, and a bit of afro-beat rhythms thrown onto a traditional lyric.

And, yes Bruce, I thought of you at the moment when it occured to me that Jim Moray was playing "prog-folk."

luv,

Scott.

Sphenodon said...

Prog-folk? Crikey...get me some tissues, thats too cool!!

Anonymous said...

Man-sized tissues, perhaps?

http://specialknives.livejournal.com/161753.html