1 January 2007

Silent Hill

Watched this last night. Or at least half of it. It was so bad we couldn't sit through all of it and finished it this morning. Oh god it was appalling. I like bad movies (see many reviews in this blog for evidence), but this, this, this wasn't even B-grade - it was Z-grade. The scripting was shocking, the acting possibly worse. It has some star power in Sean Bean, and he's fine. Good even, although it appears he's sleepwalking through it. It's a crossover from a computer game (which I haven't played). Although the comments on IMDB suggest it's 'finally a good crossover game/movie' I would suggest that may have been written by a 13-15 yo male who thought Doom was a good movie. The movie is crap. It's farcical in ways movies with a good budget shouldn't be.

The scripting is bad, really bad. Which is a shame as the concept is good, and the writer has some good stuff to his credit (Res Dogs, pulp fiction, killing zoe etc).
Special effects are reasonable, but still more funny than scary. This creates a problem for a 'horror' movie.
The last 20 minutes, maybe even 30 minutes, are quite good. But sitting through 90 minutes before you get to the ok bit seems a bit masochistic to me. It even felt masochistic.

How to watch this movie: don't. Even with wine/cognac it sucked. I was in the mood for a bgrade horror. This disappointed on every level. I wonder if it's killed Sean's career...

B.

4 comments:

JOSHUA S BLACK said...

Hmmm... I don't watch many movies anyway, because I think that most of them are a waste of time.

Check out http://needgod.com.

Sphenodon said...

thats fantastic! i'm going to hell!!! woot! although by the judgemental ill thoughtout and fallacious assumptions of the website I'm not overly convinced ...
Love and kisses on your funny bits Joshua xxx

Patrick Quinn-Graham said...

Having seen Silent Hill I can't disagree with you on any count. It sums up everything I hate about crap horror movies. Which is pretty much every horror movie ever made.

Mr A. P. Salmond, esq. said...

Yah...and now greenlit for the sequel! Apparently director Christoph Gans (who also directed the very entertaining Brotherhood of the Wolf) realises that he let the look of the film become more important than the story, and he intends to fix that in the sequel.

I say...play the game. Creepy shit.