18 April 2007

Early influences in Biology and Firealarms

I saw in the obit's the other day that Nancy Adams died. Or to give her full name, Jacqueline Nancy Mary Adams. Most of you will have seen her drawings of New Zealand plants and animals. As a young lad I have fond memories of wandering around with books (published by Mobil if my battered memory serves) which were brillantly formatted to fit in the pocket and were spiral bound to facilitate page turning. I read as many of her books as I could, although I'd be the first to say her drawings of NZ flora, although gorgeous, never really stuck. Only the other day a labmate of mine from our undergrad days and I were reminiscing over our botany fieldtrips where we'd send the other two off to do the work cos we had no idea - although I can spot a coprosma...
So yeah, I'll raise a beer to Nancy at some point for getting me into biology and giving me fond memories of bushwalks.

In other news: I fixed a mac powerbook (12" like yours Patrick! oohheerr missus!) yesterday. It had had a hard life and was very dented, but the only thing really wrong was the harddrive had died, and the DVD was out of alignment thanks to some knocks. I also cleaned my wireless MightyMouse, which might just be the single greatest toy for my computer I have.

But in Signs of the Apocalypse, I went for a run last night. I cannot think when I last did that (outside of the hockey field), I can't even recall doing it when I was playing hockey seriously... hmmm. the plan was to get myself tired out so I'd fall asleep, well that worked reasonably well. Until the bloody building firealarm went off at 1130pm. FFS!!! So after getting back inside around midnight I couldn't get back to sleep til 2ish. So yeah, I'm a bundle of frickin' joy today. Oh and the internet is down so no idea when this will make it up to the blog.

Am editing the thesis today. It's quite nice coming back to it after a month since I last saw it.

B xxxx