16 April 2007

Music, Mozart and Dinosaurs

I probably am implying that Mozart isn't music by that title, and in my defence until his late era stuff thats not too far from the truth...

First up, thank to Neil the Psychochicken is a BBC report about the value of cd collections - and how most people undervalue them. I don't think I'm one of them, off the top of my head I've:
- starved to get to gigs or buy CDs
- skipped very good friends weddings as I already had tickets to a gig
- flown to the other side of the world (three times) to catch various bands
- have everything catalogued
- hate selling anything (alhtough I am clearing things at the moment - a bit)
- the blonde bit keeps referring to me as a 'music slut'

And in Science news, the 'Mozart Effect' has been debunked by a bunch of Germans (et ez ze Beethoven effect!) who reviewed all the literature and decided it was just silly. The only benefit they could find was learning an instrument, and that I can buy into. Just as language and social interaction is thought to stimulate brain size/activity so to would learning an instrument.

Of more interest, at least to my research, is the news that scientists have isolated protein from a T.rex fossil. Previous to this the oldest DNA was from a Mammoth sample (around 300,000 years old) published last year - good review in PLoS from memory. The T.rex is around 68 million years old. So far collagen has been extracted from the bone and it showed greatest similarity to chickens. The authors pointed out that there were no Croc or Turtle samples for comparison so whether the T.rex is actually a member of the Archosauria or not is still up for debate. But it is cool. Closer to my dream of baby T.rex's running around in the backyard, throwing the neighbours to them, letting the little blighters nibble my tootsies...

Love, B.

3 comments:

Scarlet Dux said...

Darling man you do realise that you said you have a dream of a backyard (OMG how suburban of you):-) Which in and of itself is a hoot, apparently someone is affecting how you perceive your self image....

S.

Sphenodon said...

Obviously if I can have T.rex's in a backyard I'm going to want to have a backyard.
Sheesh its the concept of having a beer and watching the neighbours being eaten by growing dinosaurs that wins me over.

Patrick Quinn-Graham said...

As long as you stick to t.rexs and no raptors, I'm all for it. In fact, if I could bring some people around, that'd be just peachy.