29 July 2007

FilmFest#4: Build a Ship, Sail to Sadness

S and I wandered along to this on Saturday night. I was keen to go as it seemed a bit odd, but wasn't in the Incredible section - so I could legitimately say I was branching out.
If I mentioned 'highlands' most people would think of: hills, cattle, heather, snow and possibly Bob Dylan. Not discos.

I'm thinking this movie may make end up being my favourite of the festival. You know when you wander along to something and then get blown away by how good it actually is? This movie did that for me, it's sweet, innocent, sad, funny and poignant. The plot concerns a dreamer who (post epiphany after nearly getting run over by a train) wants to bring the farflung community together. His plan? Organise a mobile disco as people are 'lonely'. The music was composed by the main actor (and writer) and resembles the more quirky Belle and Sebastian tracks (think Lord Anthony style), but possibly darker. It's a lovely wee quirky movie with a lot of very funny black humour in it. There is a significant number of shots of the lead riding his moped through the highlands either drunk, or sniffing petrol. I could see how some people would find that boring, but I felt it added to the impression of isolation and themes of loneliness. The hi-8 grainy shot could also have detracted from the movie, but somehow it worked - kinda impressionist meets cheap doco style.
It's a shame more people won't get to see this movie, and being stuck in the Film Archive it wasn't the best viewing anyway (damm those chairs are uncomfortable), but if you get the chance - go see it.

love, B

No comments: