10 July 2007

FilmFest#6: Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man

This movie is at the Wgtn FF in a couple of weeks, but the Wgtn Public Library also has it on DVD (Region 1). So after S mentioned that it was on and I couldn't find a quick torrent to download, I tried the library - woohoo!

I was wondering how to start this review, and have decided a quick overview of how I came to find Leonard Cohen (LC) would probably be the easiest way. I hated Aaron Neville's version of Bird on a Wire, had vague memories of First We Take Manhattan from the 1980's. Things took off more when I got into Tom Waits and various friends suggested some LC would be right up my alley, and then the stunning version of Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley led me back to LC. And from there it's been a voyage of love and happiness.

The movie details a concert at the 2006 Sydney Arts Festival where a collection of performers cover LC songs. Not your usual collection of pop singers as we have Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright, the McGarrigal sisters, Martha Wainwright, Antony, Teddy Thompson, Jarvis Cocker, Handsome Family, Perla Batella, U2+LC. The performances are interspersed with interviews with LC detailing his song writing process, his childhood, influences etc etc. It is, without doubt, one of the most moving music doco's I've ever seen. I don't think it quite tops the Townes Van Zandt doco I saw a couple of years ago, but it's definitely up there.

Performances are generally superb. Nick Cave is incredible, but for me the standout performances were Rufus Wainwright's take on Everybody Knows (he plays it as a cabaret number) and the Teddy Thompson track. Aside from the McGarrigal sisters performance, which left me cold, the covers sent shivers down my spine - and with LC poetry there were a few emo moments. As anyone who has heard the Shrek soundtrack knows that Rufus does a great version of Hallelujah, and his version with Martha on backing vocals was divine (except for the other singer who wasn't in the Wainwright's class). I still have trouble listening to Hallelujah (any version), given it always cut me up before France died it certainly isn't any easier to listen to now. And Rufus' voice is pretty ethereal, and I'm starting to wonder if I prefer his version to Buckley's. Something I never thought I'd say!
It was great to see the Handsome Family there too, although Rennie wasn't singing, but Brett was - and it was good. Ahhh. Certainly one of my finds from last year, and probably my favourite concert.

So where am I going with this review? Just go and see it if you are a LC fan, and if you're not - go see it anyway, you will be converted. These are excellent versions of his songs, and will give you an insight into his incredible song writing ability.

NZ FF Link
Movie Link
Soundtrack link

Love, B.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree! I saw I'm Your Man earlier this year. I'm not a LC fan as such, but I went to the film cos I know that he is highly respected and extraordinary musical figure (and cos he is uber cool in a fringey kind of way and I figured that maybe I might have some of that rub off on me)... Most of the performers were not people I knew of, but I thought Teddy Thompson and Rufus Wainwright were brilliant. Was a little uncertain about The Edge's almost deifying comments about LC; thought Bono did a little better at expressing respect and wonder without going OTT.